I’ve recently started learning about SQL Server Parallel Data Warehouse (PDW) appliance. In the course of learning, I came across some links and resources in connection with this appliance, which I will share in this blog post. I will keep it updated as much as possible.
- Start your learning by looking at the collateral from http://www.microsoft.com/sqlserver/en/us/solutions-technologies/data-warehousing/pdw.aspx
- Free e-Learning clinic ‘Clinic 10333: Introduction to Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 Parallel Data Warehouse’: https://www.microsoftelearning.com/eLearning/courseDetail.aspx?courseId=187496&tab=overview
- SQL PDW blog from our Microsoft PFEs working on PDW: http://www.sqlpdw.com/
- Matt Peebles’ excellent deep-dive talk about PDW at TechEd: http://www.msteched.com/2010/NorthAmerica/BIE309
- Jeff Spiller on PDW and FastTrack best practices: http://www.msteched.com/2010/NorthAmerica/BIE306
- Microsoft IT sharing their experience about a 90TB PDW implementation: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/gg447063.aspx and http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/edge/deploying-sql-server-2008-r2-parallel-data-warehouse-at-microsoft.aspx
- Fairly detailed spec on what constitutes HP’s PDW implementation: http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13830_na/13830_na.pdf and http://h18004.www1.hp.com/products/quickspecs/13830_na/13830_na.html
Community blog posts:
- My friend Shailendra has blogged about the positioning of PDW and FastTrack: http://www.abhyast.com/abhyastcom/post/SQL-Server-Fast-Track-vs-Parallel-Data-Warehouse-(PDW).aspx
- Adam Jorgensen’s post: http://adamjorgensen.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/in-depth-parallel-data-warehousing-pdw/
- Richard Waymire’s blog is useful: http://www.richardwaymire.com/wordpress/
- Joe Chang has a fairly detailed post: http://sqlblog.com/blogs/joe_chang/archive/2011/03/10/parallel-data-warehouse.aspx
I will continue to gather links and post them here as I come across them. In the meantime, I hope the above help you!